Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 9: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee and the perfect egg


So it happens, Jamaican Blue Mountain is very fine coffee. Is it worth $37 per pound? Well that depends if you have that money to spend on coffee. I do, I did, and I’d do it again. I would easily spend $37 on a bottle of nice wine so why not coffee? But only drinking that coffee would be like only drinking one kind of wine, or eating one type of food, or… I better stop there for I find myself sleeping on the couch tonight.

On cooking the perfect egg – Yvie discovered this morning that when you smash a soft-boiled egg on a marble countertop it breaks and delivers great satisfaction but not a very good way to eat them. We then walked step by step through the process of creating the perfect hard boiled, then poached egg while simultaneously eating a pink lady apple. She is almost 2 and ½ after all and I don’t want her going off to nursery school next year thinking that it’s okay to have green yolk and sulfur smell to your hard-boiled eggs…

Hard-boiled (or soft-boiled) Eggs
1) Gently make a hole at the top of the shell with the point of a cork screw
2) Place eggs in boiling water for 5 to 8 minutes as you like them
3) Remove eggs and place immediately in bowl of very cold water with 2-3 ice cubes
4) Remove and give to your 2 year-old child smash and eat

Poached Eggs
1) Boil water with a pinch of sea salt and a tablespoon of white wine vinegar
2) Break eggs on flat surface (not on the edge of a bowel or the shell will break IN to the egg, often piercing the yolk) and put in ramekin or small bowl
3) GENTLY and slowly lay eggs into the boiling water and immediately brush the top of the water with a spoon so the egg yolk spins and wraps the billowing white part of the egg around it
4) Remove eggs with slotted spoon and place immediately in bowl of very cold water with 2-3 ice cubes
5) Hold in your hand and with a small sharp knife, remove stringy bits, then place nice looking side up on a plate or English muffin or slice of ham and serve with a dollop of green salsa, or hollandaise sauce or just salt and pepper.

I must give credit to Jacques Pépin for the ice water trick; this is a critical step as it prevents the yolk from turning green and tasting strongly of sulfur, giving the yolk the deep, rich looking yellow color one expects. If you need further instruction ask Yvie, she knows how to make them but you will need a pink lady apple.

2 comments:

  1. Ice water- now I know why poor daughter won't eat yolks from hard boiled egss of mine! 2 years of egg disrespect. I am ashamed and humbled. In will try to be a better eggg cooker, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for singing the praises of my beloved coffee. I am a Blue Mountain Coffee farmer. My family have been for three generations. There is a whole lot of love in every single bean that we produce. I have always known that we produce some of the best coffee in th world, but it wasn’t until I became computer literate and started going online that I realized just how cherished and appreciated our coffee really is. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete