Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 12: “Stir-Fry” should be called “Flip-Fry”




So I moved out of my comfort zone last night and wasn’t totally happy with the result, although Krysten and Yvie both loved it. I attempted Asian cuisine without a traditional wok and don’t think I kept the oil hot enough to do the job correctly. Also part of the problem is I loaded up the copper saucier with too much stuff so my stir-fry was actually having to be stirred and turned… rather than flipped. Why don’t they call it Flip Fry?

Mandarin Chicken

Starting with a hot “wok” and sesame oil
Shitake mushrooms
½ minced white onion
Ginger
Chicken with a tangerine glaze, sesame oil and seeds (and assorted Asian seed spice I bought from Rainbow market).
Assorted chopped kale and escarole
Soba noodles
1 tangerine
… in that order.

Food supplement finally came today so I’m back on the wagon. I’m a single parent tonight so I’m thinking of baked kale and home made miso soup (also from Rainbow market).

http://www.rainbowgrocery.org/

1 comment:

  1. In Iranian cooking, one must not crowd the herbs or vegetables during the sautee phase, as this waters down the veggies and destroys the vibrancy and texture, so a really large open fry pan also works, if you don't have a wok, or you only have an electric stovetop...

    ReplyDelete